Re: Re: Cygwin 1.7.1-1: problem with pipe to windows programs

Am 20:59, schrieb Christopher Faylor:
> On Wed, Jan 06, 2010 at 10:44:59PM +0000, Andy Koppe wrote:
>
>> Bottom line: it's a sqlcmd bug. Report it to Microsoft.
>>
> Ditto and also watch the generalization in the subject line when
> reporting a bug.  This is hardly a general problem piping to a windows
> program.
>
> cgf

Thanks to all for the answers to my email.

First of all I'm sorry for not being very precise in the subject line.
In fact I didn't test the pipe behaviour with different (windows) filter
programs. Because it used to run and I only updated the cygwin
environment from version 1.5 to 1.7 there was a high indication that the
problem could be related to the udpate. I read the User's Guide and
searched for all pipe relevant sections in the text but there was no
indication that there might be a problem.

But I'm still unhappy not to know what's the difference between a 1.5
and 1.7 pipe and given the workaround below there must be a difference
between a cygwin and a windows pipe (even though there should be not
difference from a user's point of view).

But your comment on the generalization in the subject led me to a work
around.

echo "select @@version" | cmd /c "more | sqlcmd".

KJ