Re: Oddity when working with webdrive mounted network drives

On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 6:12 AM, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Jan Â8 11:58, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>> On Jan Â7 16:23, Robert Pendell wrote:
>> > $ ls -n /cygdrive/w
>> > total 44M
>> > drwxrwxrwx 1 4294967295 4294967295 4.0K 2009-11-04 03:20 Maildir/
>> Â ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>> Â And that means the SIDs of owner and group are not known to Cygwin,
>> Â since they are not present in /etc/passwd and /etc/group. ÂThe permissions
>> Â are taken from what the OS call to fetch the ACL returns.
>
> Let me rephrase. ÂThe permissions as well as the SIDs are taken from
> what the OS returns for that drive. ÂYou should check the ACL content
> for files and dirs on that drive using cacls or the GUI. ÂThat's what
> Cygwin gets to see as well.
>

> Corinna

Thanks for the clarifications.  I can't use cacls on them as it comes
back saying the parameter is incorrect.  I should note that cacls is
depreciated on Vista and Windows 7 so icacls should be used instead
where available.  The command lines are different but they do the same
thing.

$ icacls Maildir
Maildir  No permissions are set. All users have full control.
Successfully processed 1 files; Failed processing 0 files

That part explains it.  Webdrive has an option to enable NTFS Security
which makes them full access to pretty much any program.  I can see
the actual permissions through the programs panel.  Just wondering why
it doesn't put anything realistic on the files themselves.  Oh well.
This isn't a cygwin issue anyways.

Robert Pendell
shinji@elite-systems.org
CAcert Assurer