Re: Update problems

On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 7:28 PM, Steven Monai <steve+cygwin@monai.ca> wrote:

<snip>

> Not to beat a dead hippo here, but if Cygwin allows in-use files to be
> replaced, then what is 'setup.exe' needed for? (Aside from the initial
> bootstrap of Cygwin, of course.) Shouldn't it be possible to have proper
> package management---like dpkg, apt, rpm, yum, etc---from within Cygwin now?
>
> Just wondering.
>
> -SM

I thought that this was a Windows limitation/feature where you can not
replace in use files.

cygwin has to live in the windows environment and is subject to
limitations/features like this.

But you are right, if Windows did not impose this limit then package
management from within cygwin would be possible.

because of my chosen uses of cygwin as a client rather than a server,
its relatively easy for me to shutdown cygwin and run setup at least
monthly