Re: 1.7.1-1 noacl on samba share has incorrect directory write bit

On Jan  9 01:00, Raman Gupta wrote:
> On 01/08/2010 03:21 PM, Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
> >On 01/08/2010 11:50 AM, Raman Gupta wrote:
> >>With the dro option, the latter would correctly remove the write bit on
> >>foo in /tmp/from_noacl.
> >
> >So perhaps you can explain why setting "acl" isn't the solution here?
>
> Unfortunately, acl mode is unusable in a non-domain environment as
> all the files have ownership/permissions relative to the server
> user/group rather than the client workstation user/group.
>
> Reference this mailing list discussion back in 2000:
>
> http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin/2000-12/msg00546.html
>
> It appears this discussion is actually what led Corinna to add the
> smbntsec mount option. The issues are summarized well in this mail
> from Charles Wilson:
>
> http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin/2000-12/msg00756.html

The problems are mostely fixed.  I'm using this setting for a long
while now.  The ownership is the one of the UNIX user and group,
but that doesn't change the fact that you can read and change the
permissions.  You can even fetch the user and groups from the Samba
server using mkpasswd and mkgroup.  Looks like this in my environment:

  $ mkpasswd -L calimero -S_ -U root,corinna
  Unix User_root:unused:10000:99999:,S-1-22-1-0::
  Unix User_corinna:unused:10500:99999:,S-1-22-1-500::

  $ mkgroup -L calimero -S_ -U root,users
  Unix Group_root:S-1-22-2-0:10000:
  Unix Group_users:S-1-22-2-100:10100:

Corinna