Re: question with cygwin.bat and Windows Scheduler

On 2010/01/09 5:36 PM, aviate wrote:

> Hi...tried for a long, long time trying to make this work to no avail...and
> did not find help online.
>
> Using Windows XP, I am running a bash script via the windows task scheduler,
> which is calling Cygwin.bat ...The command being tasked is:
>
> C:\cygwin\Cygwin.bat /myfolder/myscript.sh

You're using 'Cygwin.bat' in a way it wasn't meant to be used.
'Cygwin.bat' is for opening an interactive shell in a Windows console
window, not for running arbitrary bash scripts.

Instead, create a separate .bat file to run your bash script. The
following two-liner should do the trick:

@echo off
C:\cygwin\bin\bash.exe --login -c "/myfolder/myscript.sh"

Name the file something like "myscript.bat", and schedule it to run in
Task Scheduler. Now every time it runs, a console window will open, and
within it you'll see your bash script's output. The window will
automatically close when the bash script exits.

Finally, you may want to look into using Cygwin's 'cron' package instead
of Task Scheduler. One benefit of using cron is that you won't get a
console window popping open every time the script runs.

HTH,
-SM