Re: FW: Vista and CYGWIN telnet

Gareth Payne wrote:
> Output attached.
>
> Thank you for looking.

Well, I was hoping it was something simple, like you didn't have the
login package installed.  But...that's not it.

I can reproduce your problem; it looks like there's trouble with the
inetutils package.  I tried taking inetd out of the loop and using the
xinetd superserver to launch telnetd instead, but xinetd is in even
worse shape.

Now, this stuff DID all work back in June '09, but it appears something
has changed somewhere, now that 1.7.1 has been released.

Speaking of which, my plan was to port inetutils-1.6 "cleanly" to
cygwin-1.7 (removing any cruft related to win9x and cygwin-1.5).
Naturally, it's been so long that now inetutils-1.7 is available -- so
that's what I'll work on instead.

Unfortunately, this may take a while, and until I do that, it seems as
though the inet servers (inetd, telnetd, ftpd) are broken on cygwin-1.7
(the problem MAY be limited to Vista; I haven't tried on <=XP).

Sorry about that.

--
Chuck