Re: Running Cygwin from an NFS drive (symlinks with system attribute)

On 01/10/2010 06:33 PM, sbremal@hotmail.com wrote:

Hello,

I am trying to run Cygwin from an NFS drive. Everything works fine as
long  as no symbolic link executables are invoked:

$ awk
bash: /usr/bin/awk: Permission denied

One option is to invoke the executable pointed to instead. Another is to replace the symbolic link with a hard link. A third is to use SAMBA instead.

The NFS drive does not seem to support the DOS system attribute which
makes basic UNIX utilities unavailable.

Is there any way to tell Cygwin to ignore the system attribute?

No. If the R/O attribute is supported, then a fourth option would be to convert the
symbolic links to their "winsymlinks" format. If course, doing that means you loose
UTF character support. See <http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-cygwinenv.html>
for more on this option.

Holliston, MA 01746