Re: Running Cygwin from an NFS drive (symlinks with system attribute)

On Jan 10 21:01, Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
> On 01/10/2010 06:33 PM, sbremal@hotmail.com wrote:
> >
> >Hello,
> >
> >I am trying to run Cygwin from an NFS drive. Everything works fine as
> >long  as no symbolic link executables are invoked:
> >
> >$ awk
> >bash: /usr/bin/awk: Permission denied
>
> One option is to invoke the executable pointed to instead.  Another is to
> replace the symbolic link with a hard link.  A third is to use SAMBA instead.
>
> >The NFS drive does not seem to support the DOS system attribute which
> >makes basic UNIX utilities unavailable.
> >
> >Is there any way to tell Cygwin to ignore the system attribute?
>
> No.  If the R/O attribute is supported, then a fourth option would

It isn't.  NFS only handles POSIX permissions.  However, if you're using
the Microsoft NFS client, you can convert the Cygwin syste-type symlinks
to "real" symlinks on the target filesystem.  These are supported as well
by Cygwin.

However, please note that Microsoft's NFS client does not support UTF-8
as target charset.

> be to convert the
> symbolic links to their "winsymlinks" format.  If course, doing that
> means you loose
> UTF character support.  See
> <http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-cygwinenv.html>
> for more on this option.

Is my description under using-cygwinenv.html unclear?  I only compared
the old and the new format.  The new format using UTF-16 is used by both
styles of symlinks, the SYSTEM and the .lnk style.

Corinna

Red Hat