Re: ntEmacs has trouble with cygwin terminal...

2010/1/11 aputerguy

> Here is the situation:
>
> Running from a cygwin 1.7 bash terminal:
> $ emacs -nw
> <opens up terminal-based emacs session in current cygwin terminal>
>
> $emacsclient -nw
> *ERROR*: Not using an ASCII terminal now; cannot make a new ASCII frame
>
> $echo $TERM
> cygwin
>
> Running from within screen within cygwin:
> $ emacs -nw
> emacs: standard input is not a tty
>
> $ emacsclient -nw
> *ERROR*: Not using an ASCII terminal now; cannot make a new ASCII frame
>
> $ echo $TERM
> screen
>
> SO...
> 1. Why is emacsclient -nw fails within a cygwin terminal while emacs -nw
> works?
>
> 2. Why do *neither* of them work within screen?

Well, they obviously have different issues. Native emacs doesn't work
in screen because screen uses Cygwin's pseudo terminal devices (ptys),
whereas ntemacs presumably expects to talk to a console. Regarding
emacsclient, perhaps it's getting upset about Cygwin's LANG setting.
Try unsetting that.

> If you want everything to work as expected,
> either don't run NTEmacs from Cygwin programs, or use the Cygwin build
> of Emacs.

Yep. And don't expect much help with NTEmacs here.

> Note though that there are good reasons why I use ntEmacs and not
> cygwin Emacs

Such as?

Andy