Re: Cygwin upgrade

On 01/12/2010 07:16 AM, Tod wrote:
On 1/11/2010 3:58 PM, Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
On 01/11/2010 03:46 PM, Tod wrote:
I'm upgrading to 1.7.1 from the previous version which I was pretty good
at keeping up to date.

I ran into a problem installing openssh which locked the install forcing
me to cancel. I stopped the openssh service and cygwin service and tried
again. It completed with me ok'ing past pointer errors on certain
packages from the previous install attempt. I restarted and now get the
message:

"The procedure entry point __ctype_ptr__ could not be located in the
dynamic link library cygwin1.dll."

I'm running XP service pack 2. I haven't rebooted the box yet so maybe
that has something to do with it? The thought was that reboot in Cygwin
terms was restarting Cygwin. I'll try the box now and report back
tomorrow.

Not when you're dealing with an in-use version of cygwin1.dll during an installation it's not. Clearly what you're running into is postinstall scripts that are running with updated tools accessing the older version of cygwin1.dll you have. The solution? Reboot and run 'setup.exe' again. The postinstall scripts that didn't already run will be run in the process. You don't need to reinstall any packages unless you ignored any of the error messages you got and allowed the postinstall scripts to continue running.

Speaking of reinstall, if I did ignore those pesky error messages, is there a way to mark all my existing packages for update so I can rereun the setup again? Kind of like an upgrade do over?

Rerun 'setup.exe' and click the symbol next to "All" until "Reinstall" shows up.
Continue with 'setup.exe' as usual. This will reinstall all the packages you have
installed.

Holliston, MA 01746