Re: various problems resulting from version 1.7.1

On 1/12/2010 12:08 PM, Nellis, Kenneth wrote:
> After installing Cygwin 1.7.1, I noticed ugly man pages because
> LANG=UTF-8 causes man pages to be formatted with U+2010 hyphens,
> which aren't supported by Windows, so I took another's advice and
> installed mintty, which seemed to work just fine until I tried to
> use FTP or Telnet (the Windows versions). The mintty man page pro-
> vides a reason why it might not work with certain interactive pro-
> grams (see "LIMITATIONS"), which I presume includes these two
> programs.
>
> In lieu of going back to LANG=C and cygwin.bat, wondering if there
> is a recommended configuration that doesn't have these problems.

You could use Cygwin-based Telnet and FTP programs under Mintty.  I'm
personally fond of ncftp for FTP, and while I prefer to use SSH these
days, the telnet program included in the inetutils package always worked
for me back in the day.

In general I try to avoid using Windows-native software under Cygwin
whenever a Cygwin-based alternative is available.  It's just easier that
way for me. :-)

-Jeremy