Re: Possible BSOD from getcwd on WinXP SP3

On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 10:57 AM, Eric Blake <ebb9@byu.net> wrote:
> Henson, George A CTR USA MEDCOM JMLFDC
> writes:
>

>> Hello,
>>
>> Building tar seems to trigger a Blue Screen Of Death on WinXP.
>
> Rather, it is triggering a bug in your ntfs.sys driver. ÂCygwin is a user app,
> and as such, cannot cause a BSOD. ÂOnly drivers can do that.
>
>> The only information I have been able to get out of the Windows crash
>> dumps is the fault happens somewhere in the ntfs.sys driver.

> via:
>
> ./configure gl_cv_func_getcwd_path_max=yes
>
> to prime the cache and skip that check (I do that anyways on my XP machine, in
> my /usr/local/share/config.site file, not because my driver is buggy, but
> because Microsoft has acknowledged that XP has quadratic handling of long path
> names, and that Vista or newer have linear handling; the quadratic handling
> makes the test spin for minutes at 100% CPU utilization, attributable to system
> call churn rather than application action). ÂAlso, that check is repeated among
> tar, coreutils, findutils, and a few other GNU packages.
>
> And for the record, I've also noticed that sysinternal's procexp can crash the
> system when trying to examine the run of that particular conftest.exe with very
> deep hierarchies.
>
> --
> Eric Blake
> volunteer cygwin tar maintainer
>

> --
> Problem reports: Â Â Â http://cygwin.com/problems.html
> FAQ: Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â http://cygwin.com/faq/
> Documentation: Â Â Â Â http://cygwin.com/docs.html

Something tells me it isn't the ntfs.sys driver causing it anyways.
That's just me though.

George -- Any chance you might be able to check for and email me the
minidump crash files from your windows\minidump folder?  You can zip
up all of the ones in there and send them to my private email if you
like.  I'll run them through windows windbg and see what it says the
culprit is.  I know it won't guarantee that we will find the culprit
but we might get close.

Eric -- The ntfs.sys driver is 99% of the time stock Windows.  There
is never any need for a company to provide another ntfs.sys driver
file.  If the trigger happened it was likely something associated with
the file but probably not that file itself.  Maybe storage drivers.

Robert Pendell
shinji@elite-systems.org
CAcert Assurer
"A perfect world is one of chaos."