Re: regtool.exe won't install

On 01/14/2010 02:21 AM, David Arnstein wrote:
I have upgraded from Cygwin 1.5 to 1.7. I find that the cygwin
setup.exe program will not place regtool.exe into /usr/bin, or
anywhere else that I can detect.

I have tried to reinstall the base cygwin package from setup.exe,
since regtool.exe seems to belong to this package. No luck.

I have a valid copy of regtool.exe in my cygwin-1.7.1-1.tar.bz2, and
I was able to extract it using bzcat and tar.

I had the same problem repeatedly on two systems.

It turns out, I was always relying on the option to reboot rather than stop all cygwin processes. That's broken.

Execute
cygrunsrv --list
to see what services running, and then (for example)
cygrunsrv --stop sshd
to stop all the running services, and
start setup.exe from the Windows "run" box and reinstall cygwin.

If you get that popup again, find whatever's running and stop it.

-Ken Jackson