Re: 1.7.1: problem with public key authentication on domain accounts

Corinna Vinschen <corinna-cygwin <at> cygwin.com> writes:

> On Jan  5 11:39, Bob Burger wrote:
> > | Sonic Solutions burning software containing DLA component
> > | Detected: Named process.
> >
> > I uninstalled this component, but the problem remains.
>
> Nevertheless, the problem must be some other BLODA.  I have sshd running
> on every OS since NT4 and I have no trouble running it.  and logging in
> to any admin or non-admin account.  If it's really a Cygwin bug, it's
> quite non-deterministic since logging in via the normal old-style
> public/private key pair works fine for me.
>
> [...time passes...]
>
> Did you regenerate /etc/passwd and especially /etc/group so that all
> usual local and domain groups are included?  Maybe the generated user
> token does not contain the necessary groups to access ws2_32.dll under
> some circumstances.
>
> Corinna

I've at last managed to get sshd working again via cygrunsrv (like it was before
upgrading to 1.7.1). However, what I've done seems to be more a workaround
rather than a fix. And I can't remember if I had to do something similar even
for the previous version.

What I did was to change the group of my domain user to be "Administrators" in
"/etc/passwd" rather than the domain group. This stops the following error from
occurring every time I try to ssh to my machine as my domain user: -

      1 [main] -tcsh 13776 C:\Cygwin\bin\tcsh.exe: *** fatal error - couldn't
dynamically determine load address for 'WSAGetLastError' (handle 0xFFFFFFFF),
Win32 error 126

In fact making the group "Users" also works fine, just not the domain group.
Using the domain group seems to result in no file access permissions to the
system libraries and hence the error above when starting the "tcsh" shell.

This isn't ideal as I would really prefer to be using the domain group but it's
better than having to start sshd manually which was my previous workaround. By
the way I'm running on Windows XP Pro x64 SP2.

Andrew