Re: Should LANG be set or left unset?

On Jan 14 09:43, aputerguy wrote:

> I notice that by default LANG is unset.

LANG is set by default, see /etc/profile.d/lang.*.  If there are no
such files, see /etc/default/profile.d/lang.*.  They come with the
latest base-files package.

> Is it best to leave it that way or would it be better to set it to something
> like LANG=en-US.UTF-8 (or even C)

Not necessary.  As described in the User's Guide, the default locale
in the absence of a LC_ALL/LC_CTYPE/LANG variable is "C.UTF-8".

Corinna

Red Hat