Re: Problem with gpc on 1.7.1

Yuri Gribov wrote:

> Here are the symptoms. I try to compile a simple Pascal program (see
> attach). When it's name is lowercase (say temp.pas) it compiles fine:
> $ gpc temp.pas
> temp.pas:0: warning: missing program header
>
> but when I change it to uppercase (TEMP.PAS) I get internal compiler error:
> $ mv temp.pas TEMP.PAS
> $ gpc TEMP.PAS
> gpc: Internal GPC problem: internal option `--amtmpfile' not given

  From "info gpc":

> 5.2 The most commonly used options to GPC

>    Users familiar with BP, please note that you have to give the file
> name extension `.pas': GPC is a common interface for a Pascal compiler,
> a C, ObjC and C++ compiler, an assembler, a linker, and perhaps an Ada
> and a FORTRAN compiler. From the extension of your source file GPC
> figures out which compiler to run. GPC recognizes Pascal sources by the
> extension `.pas', `.p', `.pp' or `.dpr'. GPC also accepts source files
> in other languages (e.g., `.c' for C) and calls the appropriate
> compilers for them. Files with the extension `.o' or without any special
> recognized extension are considered to be object files or libraries to
> be linked.

  Note that it is case-sensitive about the extension.  "TEMP.pas" works fine.
 If you want to use upper-case names, GPC won't recognize them automatically
as pascal source files, but you can precede them on the command-line with the
-x option in order to specify the language manually:

> $ gpc TEM.PAS
> gpc: Internal GPC problem: internal option `--amtmpfile' not given
>
> $ gpc -x Pascal TEM.PAS
> TEM.PAS:0: warning: missing program header

  This behaviour should be the same on Linux, although I haven't checked.

    cheers,
      DaveK