Cygwin 1.7.1-1 Setup.exe version 2.676 fails to install on Windows 7 x64

Greetings,

Cygwin 1.7.1 is failing to install on a relatively clean Windows 7 x64
box. I installed this box today, applied the updates and installed a
minimal amount of other software (MS office 2007, WHS client, the
gimp, inkscribe, pidgin, flash, and acrobat reader). I applied all of
the windows updates to bring the box current, then I tried to install
cygwin.

The cygwin installer hangs at /var/lib/alternatives/.keep-alternatives
for alternatives-1.3.30c-10

When I look in c:\cygwin\var\lib\alternatives, I can see this file
being created and deleted as quickly as possible.

If I exclude (skip) alternatives from my install (and ignore the
associated dependency problems) a similar problem will surface with
/usr/share/groff/1.19.2/tmac/mm/locale. This file is also being
created and deleted as frequently as possible.

If I exclude groff from my install and also ignore the dependency
issues, the install completes without problem and appears on the
surface to be functional.

I noted that some other people on the list had a similar issue with
.keep-alternatives, and through a combination of running as an
administrator, disabling UAC, disabling a dell dll, or disabling
windows defender were able to get past this.

This is not a dell box and I have not installed any dell apps.
I had windows defender enabled and then later disabled windows defender.
I tried running the installer with UAC disabled and then UAC enabled.
I've run setup.exe as an administrator (right click->run as
administrator) and as my regular user (that is also an administrator)

None of this helped this issue.

I finally disabled windows defender, disabled UAC, and booted Win 7 in
safe mode with networking support, and ran setup.exe as an
administrator. It still would not install these two packages.

It's also worth nothing that after a successful install of cygwin
without these two packages, attempting to add those packages to the
install by running setup.exe again results in the same problems
installing them.

Attached is the cygcheck.out from cygcheck -s -v -r > cygcheck.out

Thanks for your help,

Clinton Goudie-Nice