Re: not able to run emacs 23 from cygwin 1.7.1

On 1/17/2010 9:45 AM, Ken Brown wrote:
On 1/17/2010 3:39 AM, Mahesh P wrote:
hi!

I have installed the Emacs package again but it does not run.
I opened the emacs file in windows and tried to add autosave-default-1
in the emacs file to stop autosave and after that when i tried to run
emacs from the console it gives me the error
bash: usr/bin/emacs: Permission denied.The ls-l usr/bin/emacs gives no
such file or directory

I assume you're replying to my message

Please *reply*, rather than just starting a new message, so that the
archives will show the whole thread.

You really need to follow *all* the guidelines at

http://cygwin.com/problems.html

including (but not limited to) attaching the requested cygcheck output.

I can't help you based on the limited information you've supplied so
far. For example, what do you mean by "the emacs file"? What do you mean
by saying that you opened it "in windows"? And I asked you to run the
command 'ls -l /usr/bin/emacs*', but your reply refers to 'ls-l
usr/bin/emacs', which differs in three ways from what I wrote. So I
don't know what you actually did. You should always copy and paste when
saying what you did and what errors you got, in order to avoid
typographical errors.

Wait a minute.... My crystal ball is telling me that you might have actually edited the file /usr/bin/emacs. Is that what you did? That's a Cygwin symbolic link, which won't be recognized as such by a Windows editor.

Ken