Re: Gitk issue post 1.7.1 upgrade

On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 23:52, Jeenu V <jeenuv@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm using Gitk from Cygwin and I come across this problem quite
> frequently post upgrade to 1.7.1. While I'm viewing commits a pop-up
> appears saying "writing to stdout fails". I'm able to consistently
> reproduce it by making quick random clicks on the commit graph. And I
> don't remember seeing this behavior pre-1.7.1 Cygwin.
>
> I've captured log and is attached. Has any one else come across this?

I've seen this a lot, and at the time I thought it might be related to
clicking on a commit that contains a file that no longer exists in the
working tree. Throughout some of our repositories we had 'mass
renaming' commits, and I have noticed that it seems to happen quite
often if I quickly click commits on the far side of such a commit.

That said, it didn't seem particularly consistent and I am not able to
definitely point at that as a cause. It has the feel of a race
condition.

I don't see it happen in Linux at all.

I've also seen gitk on 1.7.1 Cygwin become intolerably slow within
seconds of opening within a (very small, < 10 commits) repository with
many renames in it. This caused us to rebuild the repository again,
only to see the same problem. But I'm not sure if this is related.

-- David.