Re: slowdown in "mv" operation

Since I've already opened my mouth on this subject, I thought I would elaborate some on this subject: performance.

I have setup two tests to execute on each of 1.5 and 1.7 cygwin systems. In each of these tests, they are not exhaustive as they should be. I developed these tests based upon a typical task that I would do.

They are scripting task's involving the movement of 4,178 music files each to another directory on the same file system. In one script, it uses the "basename" program to create the next script which executes the "ln" command to link files to look different. For each filename, there are a total of two commands for each file: 1) basename and 2) ln. The total execution times for each are:
_Cygwin 1.5_ _Cygwin1.7_
996** secs 1222 secs (for the 'basename')
898 secs 900 secs (for the "ln")
** The system "time" command was
not used. Just unobserved clock
awareness time. For "ln" time, I'm
calling it a dead-heat.

So it looks like the I/O times in my book for 1.7 compares closely to 1.5. There was no physical movement of data for these tests.
Paul McFerrin wrote:
I have over 12,000 music files I frequently move around using the "mv" command with both source & destination on the same FS. Under Cygwin 1.5, this script would act amazedly fast that it would be impossible to read your screen.. I do have trace turned on.

Now under Cygwin 1.7, my trace output scrools about 2 lines / second. Much slower than Cygwin 1.5. Has anyone noticed this slow-down. It is so slow that it is very obvious. I've already destroyed my 1.5 installation.