Re: units: update, FHS compliance

Yaakov (Cygwin/X) wrote:
> Given the normal pace of the ITP process, moving *all* of Ports into the
> distro might take years. :-)  But my short-term goal is remove the
> overlaps between the distro and Ports in order to simplify the
> installation procedure for Ports' users, see here for details:
>
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.os.cygwin.ports.general/736

Summarizing:

> * Boost
> * CMake
> * DocBook
> * FLTK
> * Tcl/Tk
> Again, Ports' version is *NIX/X11, the distro's is Win32/GDI.  There's
> been plenty of talk about switching to the X11 version on the lists,
> and AFAIK a switch would be accepted, but this switch affects a number
> of packages, so the transition would need some work.  This would
> remove the primary reason for Ports' python and ruby packages as well.
>
> * e2fsprogs
> * OCaml
> * Qt4
> * Xpdf
> * Also...
>   cppunit: needs update/rebuild for gcc4; request sent to main list.
>   links: orphaned in distro.
>   plotutils: orphaned in distro.
>   units: needs update/packaging fix for FHS; request sent to list.

IIRC tcl/tk was just waiting on two things, really: 1.7.1 to be
released, and cgf to scrape together enough 'tuits.  As far as
"affecting" other packages, it would directly affect

  * suite3270/tcl3270
  * brltty/tcl-brlapi
  * parrot/parrot-languages
  * db/db*/tcl-db*
  * git/gitk
  * git/git-gui
  * expect
  * WordNet
  * ruby
  * catgets
  * gdb (e.g. insight)
  * python

so there'd need to be some coordination. The most tricky one, IMO, would
be insight -- which is also on cgf's already-overburdened plate.

--
Chuck