Problem with compiling Perl Curses.pm

Dear all,

I am beginning to upgrade my environment to Cygwin 1.7. Since I have a
whole lot of extra requirements, especially in the realm of Perl, I
have a test case to check my software against.

Well, the second package I want to add is Perl Curses.pm, which does
not compile anymore. I get

CursesVar.c: In function ‘XS_Curses_Vars_STORE’:
CursesVar.c:190: error: lvalue required as left operand of assignment
CursesVar.c:197: error: lvalue required as left operand of assignment
CursesVar.c:204: error: lvalue required as left operand of assignment
CursesVar.c:211: error: lvalue required as left operand of assignment
CursesVar.c:218: error: lvalue required as left operand of assignment
CursesVar.c:225: error: lvalue required as left operand of assignment

When I expand CursesVar with inclusion of ncurses.h, I see something like this :

XS(XS_Curses_Vars_STORE)
{
    dXSARGS;
    {
 int num = (int)SvIV((SV*)SvRV(ST(0)));

 switch (num) {
 case 1:

     ncwrap_LINES() = (int)SvIV(ST(1));

>>> Which indeed looks wrong, since the LHS of the assignment is a
>>> function call.

     break;
 case 2:

I do not know if I am even on the right forum to ask this, but since I
encounter it using Cygwin, I decided to start here. Next stop would
probably be a Perl newsgroup or mailing list.

When I compare the current environment with what we where using, then
we skipped 6 years. We used to use Cygwin 1.3 and 1.5, but then we had
to stop using that, because we used MontaVista as development
environment, but we stopped using that a half year ago, and now I want
to update our environment with the most recent version of cygwin (not
the least because of screen, but also because of the better completion
facilities).

Regards,

Jurgen Defurne