Re: 1.5.25-15: problem with mount table

On 01/19/2010 04:03 PM, Mike Nistor wrote:
Just a few minutes ago, I tried to unmount a few mounts I had the
previous semester. Because I was not able to unmount each specific
mount I had, I instead ran umount -a, which erased both the /bin and
/etc entries from the mount table. A few notes: I realize I should not
be using mount and should rather be using ln. I tried reinstalling
cygwin to repair the mount table, and that did not work thus far. I
tried remounting them, but to no avail.

What's happening now, is that when I run cygwin it does not
autmatically cd me to my user directory, and I had to add to the
windows path for bash to even see cygcheck, ls, and basics like that.
I'm attaching cygcheck.out, and if anyone has any idea how to repair
the mount table from my mistake, please help.

'cygcheck' is not a Cygwin program so there is no need to do anything special to run it.

Do the following:

mount -s -b e:/cygwin /
mount -s -b e:/bin /usr/bin
mount -s -b e:/lib /usr/lib
mount -s -b -c /cygdrive

That should get you back to the basics. Of course, the above is from memory
so there might be a typo or two in there. I don't keep around a 1.5.x environment
so I can't easily check the specific syntax. In the future, you might find 'mount -m'
helpful.

Holliston, MA 01746