Re: Cygwin on FLOSS Weekly

On 01/19/2010 09:18 PM, Linda Walsh wrote:
I think the bottom line is that the the core cygwin
developers are good at their jobs because they are strongly technically oriented and, *usually*, people focusing all their energy on their craft don't have time to be "social". Thus they are not inclined to have a desire to engage in such a venture.

But this is just my impression. Besides, what would they say "cygwin is great, use it, we'd love you to use it, but patches will be more appreciated?", it really isn't their public style(well the last part might be :-)... but that's just my uninformed 2 cents.

You wanted an answer.... I've never met any of the cygwin developers in RL, and can't really speak for any of them.
I sincerely invite you to take a listen to FLOSS Weekly then. Hundreds of Open Source, really geeky developers that is, projects have been discussed like Jython, FreeBSD, pfSense, Puppet, BioPerl, FoxyProxy, etc. There are true geeks there going into depth and guts, etc. trust me! I'm often amazed when a new episode is announced I'll think "Hmmm... I wonder how that will be interesting" only to find as I listen to it that it is interesting and that I learn something from it. Randall's standard question to develops with tongue firmly in cheek is "OK, Emacs or vi?".
--
Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
Why do toasters always have a setting that burns the toast to a horrible crisp no one would eat?