Re: units: update, FHS compliance

On Mon, January 18, 2010 8:39 pm, Yaakov (Cygwin/X) wrote:
> On 18/01/2010 13:38, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>> I think we could relax the ITP process if you wanted to do some bulk
>> moves but I would hate to have anyone have to support so many packages.
>> Even if I wasn't just concerned about your free time and sanity, I'd
>> be worried what would happen if you left the project.
>
> Precisely why I've hesitated to take on lots more packages within the
> distro.

I've thought on this over the last few days and would like to share them
with the list;

1) Yaakov has a *huge* number of packages over at cygports many of which
could benefit everyone (or, at least more easily available for more folks)
if they were part of the main cygwin distro(? is there a better way to
describe this)
2) All of them are (AFAIU) built with cygports which should make
maintenance of the package far easier and transfer of maintainership
easier/safer
3) If Yaakov stopped doing this (please correct me if I'm wrong) the
majority of the packages on cygports would stop being maintained and would
bit-rot as more upstream releases aren't packaged.

Ok, thoughts.  If Yaakov brought lots (most?) of the packages into the
main distro;

1) Yaakov could continue to support the packages as he currently does on
cygports, but everyone would benefit from better integration
2) If Yaakov ([deity] forbid) decided to stop supporting them they would
_still_ have a cygport which should make 'pickup' easier.
3) If Yaakov wished to reduce the number of packages he supports I'm sure
a page could be added to the cygwin.com site to list packages which are
available to be taken over (actually, an orphaned page might not be a bad
idea anyway?).  This 'take over' would, I'm sure, be made easier by the
existence of the cygport.

Anyway, all this is just talk; the only people who could make this happen
are Yaakov, Christopher and Corinna.

Thanks for reading this far!

J.