Re: Gtk+ & cygwin problem

Yaakov (Cygwin/X <yselkowitz <at> users.sourceforge.net> writes:

> On 20/01/2010 16:36, Richard Dickinson wrote:
> > Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:
>
> Some googling would have shown you what this means.  You need to be
> running an X server and set the DISPLAY variable in order to use GTK+
> (or any other X11 GUI).
>
> This being a Cygwin/X question, it really belongs on the Cygwin/X list;
> redirecting accordingly.
>
> > And on my Vista machine I have gtkmm for Windows setup from which I can run
> > Gtk-demo from my Vista cmd prompt
>
> GTKmm for Windows is just that -- for WINDOWS.  Cygwin's GTK+ is a
> *NIX/X11 version and needs a Cygwin-built GTKmm, which is available from
> Cygwin Ports.
>
> > (but cannot compile gtk+ code with from Vista cmd
> > prompt as I get 'access denied' error message?!).
>
> '/usr/bin/gcc' is a symlink, which Windows itself doesn't understand.
> Cygwin commands are generally meant to be run from a Cygwin environment
> (in this case, bash, or another shell of your choice).
>
>  > I have cygwin/bin in my path&  gtkmm/bin also.
>
> This is asking for problems.  You're better off keeping extra Win32
> components out of your Cygwin PATH.
>
> Yaakov
> Cygwin/X

Hi Yaakov
Thanks for your reply.
This has helped me a little but I am grateful for a bit more help please.
As I have already downloaded Cygwins GtK+ packages do I not already have gtkmm
installed in cygwin?
I tried to follow instructions to get Cygwin-built GTKmm from Cygwin-Ports but
when I looked at the Cygwin-Ports available packages these are:
gtk-vnc                                            0.3.10-1
gtk1.2-engines                                     0.12-10
gtk2.0-canberra-module                             0.22-1
gtk2.0-engines-qt4                                 1.1-10
gtk2.0-engines-qtcurve                             1.0.1-1
gtk2.0-engines-xfce                                2.6.0-10

with no sign of GTKmm (?)
I apologise if I am missing something here (I am only an amateur programmer
but I would like to compile gtk+ code in cygwin and in cmd prompt in Vista and
am finding this hard to acheive!).
I didn't really understand how to use cygwin download with the -X flag either?

Most grateful for more of your fine advice and help, many thanks
Richard