Best way to backup 1.5 to go to 1.7

I want to upgrade to 1.7 but would like to get a backup of the full 1.5
install before hand.  I know in the past just doing copies some files
didn't or couldn't get copied.  Also in the unix world seems as though
I recall tar and cpio have difference in terms of what they will and
won't backup.

What the best way to get a good copy of my 1.5 in case I need/want to
get it back.

Or should I just clean install 1.7 to a new directory and keep both
around.  Bringing files over from old to new could get bothersome - I
don't remember what all I have set up or changed in config files.

bk