RE: Design issue with new MS-DOS style path warning?

Batson, Chuck sent the following at Wednesday, January 20, 2010 8:11 PM
>I am aware it is possible to disable the "MS-DOS style path detected"
>warning with the 'nodosfilewarning' option.
>
>But this message raises the question of, "What is the Cygwin ideal?"
>That is, how to avoid the warning in a "clean" way without resorting to
>the 'nodosfilewarning' option?

(1)

It seems to me that 'nodosfilewarning' is "clean" and is "the Cygwin
ideal".  What is the problem using it?

(2)

Have people set the CYGWIN environmental variable?  I would think
that anyone who can handle the command line could handle that.

(3)

    Note to the CYGWIN DEVELOPERS:

        Now that the mount table is has moved from the
        Registry to a text file, perhaps it would make sense
        for cygwin1.dll to look at a text file, e.g.,
        /etc/cygwin.env, if the CYGWIN environmental variable
        is unset.

        This might also allow one to duplicate a cygwin
        installation by just copying a directory tree and the
        appropriate Windows batch files and shortcuts without
        having to run setup and without having set CYGWIN via
        the Control Panel | System | Advanced | Environmental
        Variables.

        Just a suggestion, not a request.  (I don't need it.)

>There is a situation in which it is not conceptually "clean" to avoid
>the warning: at the interface between the host OS and Cygwin tools.
>
>Say, for example, you create a Windows batch file containing the line:
>  touch C:\foo.txt

(4)

Does the following work if you put it at the beginning of the batch
file?

set CYGWIN=%CYGWIN% nodosfilewarning

(Sorry I haven't tested - too much trouble.)

(5)

Tell people to always run from the current directory?

cd C:\
touch foo.txt

(6)

Don't use cygwin.

Compile the utilities of interest under MinGW.
	http://www.mingw.org/
(While you are there, look into MSYS and mingwPORTs.)

Find native utilities.  Here are the 2 I know about.
	http://sourceforge.net/projects/pw32/
	http://unxutils.sourceforge.net/
Note that they haven't been updated in a while.

(7)

- Barry