Re: futimes?

According to Charles Wilson on 1/22/2010 9:48 AM:
> I noticed this change when reviewing libarchive development:
>
> "Windows resets atime at file close, so we can't use futimes() on
> Cygwin."
> http://code.google.com/p/libarchive/source/detail?r=1832
>
> Is that the expected behavior? I thought cygwin-(1.7?) took special care
> to go back and "fix up" this problem during close()...

In fact, cygwin goes to great lengths to work around this bug in the MVFS
file system (that is, duplicate the handle, set atime on the duplicate,
close it to force a flush to disk, then set atime on the original).  Which
file system was the libarchive bug reported on?  Maybe we need to reuse
the MVFS hack on other file systems.  But my experience has been that
futimes works correctly on NTFS.

Eric Blake             ebb9@byu.net