Re: Why require ps -W and kill -f

On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 01:28:05PM -0800, Don Beusee wrote:
>People don't care about implementation details.  They care about what
>is running on the system (the WHOLE system).  They want kill and ps to
>show what's running on the system, not what cygwin "thinks" is running.
>Since exec() creates a new process on windows, that's more relevant for
>these tools.

You're missing the point.  kill DOESN'T WORK with windows process unless
you want to summarily terminate a process.  The built-in kill in the
shells that are in the distribution won't work with pure Windows process
at all.

>How about let the user control how this works without having to change
>scripts or typing habits?  Can you add a new option via the CYGWIN
>environment variable, something like [no]allprocs which kill and ps can
>look at instead of -f and -W options (although you can keep those for
>compatibility with existing cygwin releases)?  Of course, I think the
>default behavior should be allprocs, since I believe almost all users
>will prefer this behavior.

Sorry but it doesn't work this way.  You don't go to a mailing list,
argue for a feature and then, when people disagree and try to explain,
suggest that those people should implement something for you.

It's a free software project.  If you think this is a good idea then
show us the code.  If you don't have the skills to make the necessary
modifications then you'll just have to live with the current
implementation because, I can assure you, that I don't agree with your
point of view and I, as the author of most of the process code, will not
be making any changes to it to accommodate your wishes.

cgf