Re: Please support CP932. (I have problem using subversion with SJIS)

On Jan 23 15:51, Andy Koppe wrote:
> On 23 January 2010 15:07, Corinna Vinschen:
> > Ouch. ?I understand now. ?Standard SJIS is *really* different from
> > Microsoft CP932 in two code points:
> >
> > ?CP932 0x5c == U+005E
> > ?SJIS ?0x5c == U+00A5
> >
> > ?CP932 0x7e == U+007E
> > ?SJIS ?0x7e == U+203E
>
> Aargh! I wonder what that would do to DOS paths and stuff like ~username.
>
> > Would it be a valid help for your case if Cygwin's SJIS conversion would
> > convert 0x5c to U+00A5 and 0x7e to 203E, so that the SJIS conversion
> > would be really correct *and* bijective?
>
> I think that's the correct thing to do, but it'll likely break other
> stuff. Seems SJIS really isn't suited for Unix command line use. All
> the more reason to make EUC-JP the default for "ja_JP" I guess.
>
> > ?To me this sounds like the
> > better solution than adding a CP932 charset identifier.
>
> I agree. Simply aliasing CP932 to SJIS is wrong, because they are
> quite different character sets. Supporting CP932 as a charset in its
> own right might be worth considering though, especially as that's the
> standard charset on Japanese Cygwin 1.5.

I applied a patch which handles the characters 0x5c and 0cfe differently
if the charset is set to "SJIS", and I applied Nayuta's patch to newlib's
loadlocale to allow "CP932" as charset.  So there will be a choice in
Cygwin 1.7.2.

Corinna

Red Hat