FLTK versions in Cygwin [was: Re: units: update, FHS compliance]

Yaakov (Cygwin/X) wrote:
On 23/01/2010 09:32, Albrecht Schlosser wrote:
Well, then there are probably good news from FLTK. The
current development version (1.3.0) can be configured to
work with cygwin/X11 OOTB:

$ ./configure --enable-cygwin --enable-x11

I haven't tried the 1.3 branch, but the 2.0 branch certainly does NOT work with Cygwin/X11 OOTB:

http://cygwin-ports.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/cygwin-ports/ports/trunk/x11/fltk2/r6403-configure-cygwin.patch

Defining _WIN32, using -mwindows, and not supporting shared libraries is *not* what I call "working with Cygwin".

Yes, FLTK 2 is an experimental version that stalled, there's currently no development, and it will probably be dropped completely.

There are plans, however, to combine the FLTK 2 API with the FLTK 1.3
base to build a new FLTK 3 version, but that's only a *plan*.

I also looked at your patch and the cygport file at:

<http://cygwin-ports.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/cygwin-ports/ports/trunk/x11/fltk2/fltk2-2.0.x.6879-1.cygport>

There I saw a reference to dillo2: this unfortunately uses FLTK2, and
if you want to support this, the cygport version would have to stay
with FLTK 2. But please note that FLTK 2 has a different API than
FLTK 1.1 and FLTK 1.3.

For the latest stable release (1.1.10) a configure patch
to make it work with X11 has been posted by the Cygwin
maintainer (Teun Burgers), but didn't make it into the
final release. He also supplied the configure/X11 patch
for the current development version.

One way or another, we do need to hear from Teun so that we can sort out the FLTK package.

Agreed. The current Cygwin version is 1.1.8, the latest stable release is 1.1.10. Current development is 1.3.0, but as I wrote, a release is not yet available.

For the different versions of FLTK please see this interesting
article:

http://www.fltk.org/articles.php?L825

Albrecht