Re: FLTK versions in Cygwin [was: Re: units: update, FHS compliance]

Yaakov (Cygwin/X) wrote:
On 24/01/2010 18:00, Albrecht Schlosser wrote:
I'am aware that -mno-cygwin is no longer supported, but there's
nothing we can do until a working gcc-4 cross compiler exists.
So long we need to use gcc-3 for Windows/GDI builds (or Cygwin).

That's what I'm trying to tell you: -mno-cygwin mean(t) just that: NO cygwin.

I knew that. Thanks nevertheless.

It shouldn't be the default on Cygwin to not build for Cygwin; after all, you wouldn't have the default on Linux to cross-compile to Win32, would you? If you want to provide the cross-compiling option, that's fine, but it should be an *option*, not the default.

Point taken. But unfortunately the FLTK community decided it the other way with a majority of 74% (this must have been in or before 2003):

http://www.fltk.org/poll.php?r1

Thus this is not likely to be changed. Sorry.

<personal opinion>
From a Cygwin point of view you're right, of course, and I wouldn't
have any problems with this change. However, some (many?) developers
(including me) use Cygwin as a development platform to create native Windows programs w/o the need to use the cygwin1.dll. The occasional
user (developer) who tries to configure a project (FLTK) would
probably be surprised if he created .exe files that can't be run
on another PC (w/o a Cygwin installation). If s/he needs the Cygwin
POSIX environment, s/he should know what to do and use
--enable-cygwin explicitly. YMMV.
BTW.: I appreciate all the good work for Cygwin and I don't want to
miss it anymore as a development platform. And before you say "use
MinGW": I have it installed, too, but I prefer Cygwin.
</personal opinion>

[concerning not installing *.dll.a file]
Yep, that's what I expected, but didn't check (yet). This may
well be changed...

It should be, although the workaround is easy in the meantime.

I'll take a look into it and keep you informed.

Albrecht