Question about a loose thread from setup

For some time now setup has been offering to
install tetex and glib, but apparently these
are obsolete -- the .tar.bz2 files are 46
bytes long. I have tried deleting things out
of my setup file hierarchy, but I don't want
to "erase" its memory of everything else I
have installed. (And I do have tex/latex
installed, and their fonts, so this little
bz2 file is an odd loose end of some kind.)

Can someone instruct me, or point me to the
right corner of the documentation, to fix
up my installation? Everything *works* fine;
setup just keep offering these and somehow
never really installing / clearing them out.

On another note, setup seems generally to
remember how I check the checkboxes and
radio buttons, but seems always to offer
to put an icon on my desktop, which I
never want to do. Is there a way I can stop
it from offering to do that? If it matters,
I tend to do downloading in one invocation
of setup and installing as a separate step.

Best wishes -- Eliot Moss