Re: FLTK versions in Cygwin [was: Re: units: update, FHS compliance]

On 25/01/2010 04:57, Albrecht Schlosser wrote:
Point taken. But unfortunately the FLTK community decided it the
other way with a majority of 74% (this must have been in or before
2003):

http://www.fltk.org/poll.php?r1

Thus this is not likely to be changed. Sorry.

Since when are matters such as this decided by opinion polls? I bet most of the voters didn't use Cygwin or even know what it is. Did you have a poll to decide how FLTK should be built on Linux? Didn't think so. I am NOT impressed.

Like any other platform, the only people that should have a say in any package's behaviour on Cygwin are the Cygwin managers and maintainers. We have made Cygwin a *NIX/X11 platform, and we have decided that gcc will not support -mno-cygwin (which was broken anyway). *That* is the ONLY opinion that should matter in this discussion.

Unfortunately this attitude is by no means limited to FLTK, and any frustration with this topic is based more on the frequency of this sort of thinking than with FLTK in particular.

Yaakov