Re: Python 2.6 ?

Yaakov,

On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 02:55:23AM -0600, Yaakov (Cygwin/X) wrote:
> What are your plans for upgrading the distro Python to 2.6?

I was waiting for Cygwin 1.7 to be released.  I guess I can't use that
excuse anymore... :,)

> I'm finally starting to see some programs require 2.6 now, so I think
> the time has finally come that to consider an upgrade.

Agreed, especially since the Python web site indicates the following:

    The current production versions are Python 2.6.4 and Python 3.1.1.

> Of course, any upgrade to Python affects a lot of packages,

Wow, I didn't realize there were so many Cygwin packages dependent on
Python:

    $ wget -q -O - http://mirror.nyi.net/cygwin/setup.ini | \
    grep '^requires:.* python' setup.ini | wc -l
    54

> so I hope that we can coordinate this in order to have a smooth
> transition.

What do you propose?  Should I release a Python 2.6 as experimental, use
alternatives, or another approach?

BTW, is the threading workaround mentioned in the following post still
necessary?

Thanks,
Jason