RE: FW: FLTK versions in Cygwin [was: Re: units: update, FHS compliance]

Christopher Faylor sent the following at Tuesday, January 26, 2010 10:25 AM

>>Christopher Faylor sent the following at Tuesday, January 26, 2010 9:38
>>AM
>>>
>>>Cygnus funded the work to provide windows *hosted* cross compilers for
>>>other architectures. Targetting *native* targeted win32 did not come
>>>until a couple into the life of the project.
>>
>>references:
>>  <http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/brief-history.html>
>>  See '4. "Harnessing the Power of the Internet"' on
>><http://www.usenix.org/publications/library/proceedings/usenix-nt98/ful
>>l_papers/noer/noer_html/noer.html>
>
>On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 10:14:44AM -0500, Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID)
>[E] wrote:
>
>Don't know if you're arguing with me or agreeing with me but I actually
>helped in the creation of that paper. I even presented parts of it in
>Paris to a bunch of non-English-speaking people at one point.
>
>Unfortunately, the referenced page mixes the term "native" to mean
>"runs on windows" vs. "runs without cygwin". The initial goal of the
>Cygwin project was *always* to produce binaries which run in the Cygwin
>environment. The ability to produce objects which didn't rely on Cygwin
>came after the project had been around for a couple of years.

Chris,

I know better than to argue with you in general and on this subject in
particular.  (For those who don't know, Chris used to work for Cygnus
Solutions.)  I just thought that it might be useful to point those who
are interested to the official historical documentation.  If there is
something wrong in that documentation, I suggest that you take it up with
the web master, not me.  :-)

- Barry