Re: Please support CP932. (I have problem using subversion with SJIS)

On Jan 27 01:36, Kazuhiro Fujieda wrote:

> > The Unix consensus is apparently EUC-JP and that's what Cygwin 1.7.2
> > will use as default as well.  If you want UTF-8, just use "ja_JP.UTF-8".
>
> To change the default codeset of ja_JP to eucJP is ridiculous.
> Any users of Japanese version of Windows don't use eucJP as
> typical euncoding scheme. It will cause unnecessary confusion.

Well, you can always use "ja_JP.SJIS".  As for the default charset, now
that we get extended NLS support, there are packages out there which
have messages files for ja_JP encoded in eucJP.  These are not shown
correctly if SJIS is the default.  And eventually you should use
"ja_JP.UTF-8" anyway.

> There is no difference between SJIS and eucJP on Cygwin command
> line for the sake of the implementation of i18n API. If there is
> any difference, we should correct it. To change the default to
> eucJP isn't adequate.

I don't understand this one.  The difference is the character encoding
which is compatible with other POSIX systems in the "ja_JP" locale
when eucJP is the default.

Corinna

Red Hat