Re: SSH password change request

On Jan 26 13:56, Jonathan Mailloux wrote:

> Hi everyone.
>
> I modified "openssh-5.1p1-10" to allow SSH to have it login with a password and do some action on a single line. This is the result of a chain of problems I had to customize and automate our web installations here.
>
> Syntax is as follow: ssh password:username@server [params] [actions] [etc...]
>
> I wanted to submit this to cygwin-packages but I am having all the troubles in the world connectiong via cvs + v1.7 has gone out.

There are a couple of problems:

- OpenSSH is at 5.3p1, not at 5.1p1, so the patches probably won't apply
  cleanly to the latest from CVS.

- There is no cygwin-packages repository, there's only a cygwin-apps
  repository.

- OpenSSH is not maintained in cygwin-apps, but entirely upstream by the
  OpenBSD community.  See http://www.openssh.com/portable.html.

- The Cygwin version of OpenSSH is also maintained in the upstream
  source tree.  For CVS access to that tree, see the aforementioned web
  page at http://www.openssh.com/portable.html.  There's no
  Cygwin-specific patch which hasn't been accepted in the upstream
  repository and, as the Cygwin OpenSSH maintainer, I'm not willing to
  apply Cygwin-specific patches which won't go upstream.

- I'm very certain that the patch won't be accepted upstream, since
  there's nothing you can say which will the upstream maintainers
  convince to allow to specify a cleartext password on the command line.

- Last but not least, with Cygwin 1.7 there are very likely other
  solutions to your problems, see the Cygwin User's Guide at
  http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html#ntsec-setuid-overview
  and especially at
  http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html#ntsec-nopasswd2 and
  http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html#ntsec-nopasswd3