Re: Readline problem on stand alone application

On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 11:28:00AM -0800, Paul Budnik wrote:
>In the latest port of the ordinal calculator (www.mtnmath.com/ord)
>readline does not work. Backspace does not delete characters and the
>arrow keys do not move the cursor. The problem is reproducible with
>bash. Copy bash.exe and the dlls it uses to another directory and
>execute bash in that directory from the Microsoft command window. Doing
>so results in the same behavior in bash as I observe in my application.
>
>If I execute the ordinal calculator either from a bash window or copy it
>to the CYGWIN bin directory it works properly but when I package it as a
>standalone application it fails. I even tried copying the entire CYGWIN
>bin directory to another location and executing from there. The problem
>still exists. I have updated CYGWIN in the last week. I did not have
>this problem on the first release of the ordinal calculator made last fall.

This isn't too surprising.  Cygwin 1.7.* determines its root directory
from the location of cygwin1.dll.  If you move cygwin1.dll to directory
c:\foo\bin it will look for other required files in, e.g.,
c:\foo\usr\share and won't be able to find them.  ncurses/terminfo need
files in /usr/share so they won't work correctly.

If you are packaging the Cygwin DLL with with other stuff you will need
to investigate the Cygwin mount table and possibly provide an /etc/fstab
file or copy more files into the other directory.

Btw, looking at the above web site, it seems like you may not be complying with
the GPL since you don't seem to be providing the sources for the binaries
you are distributing.  Pointing to the Cygwin web site is not enough.  You
have to provide source code for every binary that you provide.

cgf