Re: Please support CP932. (I have problem using subversion with SJIS)

>>> On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 18:06:15 +0100
>>> Corinna Vinschen said:

> As for the default charset, now that we get extended NLS
> support, there are packages out there which have messages
> files for ja_JP encoded in eucJP.  These are not shown
> correctly if SJIS is the default.

The runtime library of NLS convert messages encoded in EUC-JP to
the character encoding obtained by nl_langinfo(CODESET). We can
properly see Japanese messages.

> > There is no difference between SJIS and eucJP on Cygwin
> >  command line for the sake of the implementation of i18n API.
> >  If there is any difference, we should correct it. To change
> > the default to eucJP isn't adequate.
>
> I don't understand this one.

Andy said `Seems SJIS really isn't suited for Unix command line
use.' I said there is no problem, no difference with EUC-JP, and
no need to change the default.

> The difference is the character encoding which is compatible
> with other POSIX systems in the "ja_JP" locale when eucJP is
> the default.

The default character encoding in the Japanese locale has become
UTF-8 in other POSIX systems. In most of all Linux distributions,
the default is UTF-8. In OpenSolaris, the default is also UTF-8.
On the other hand, the default is SJIS in HP-UX.

I believe there is no need to change the default in Cygwin to EUC-JP.
--
Kazuhiro Fujieda <fujieda@acm.org>