'git commit' problem

Hi,

This might be a general 'git' issue rather than something specific to Cygwin. (The only git I have used is Cygwin's git - version 1.5.4.)

When I try to 'git commit' my amendments I often get hit with "* trailing whitespace (line xxx)" errors.

Firstly, I'm wondering what's wrong with having whitespace at the end of a line ? Why should it prevent changes from being committed ?

Secondly, what's the best way to deal with this ? Can this check be easily disabled ?

Cheers,
Rob