Re: Please support CP932. (I have problem using subversion with SJIS)

2010/1/27 Kazuhiro Fujieda:
> Andy said `Seems SJIS really isn't suited for Unix command line
> use.' I said there is no problem, no difference with EUC-JP, and
> no need to change the default.

That comment primarily referred to standard SJIS, with its mappings of
the ASCII backslash and tilde codepoints to yen and overscore. This is
addressed by using MS's CP932 version instead.

Another issue is SJIS's use of bytes in the ASCII range as trailing
byte, which is bound to confuse programs that have been written
without considering that. Yes, any such programs should be considered
buggy, but they won't fix themselves.

But that's beside the point. The change is not due to SJIS's
shortcomings, but for the purpose of Unix/Linux compatibility. There's
no particular requirement on the Windows side that "ja_JP" should mean
SJIS, but there are Unix programs that assume that "ja_JP" means
eucJP.

Also, please remember that Cygwin's default locale is "C.UTF-8", i.e.
Japanese users (like everyone else) will be using UTF-8 by default,
not eucJP. The change only concerns users who explicitly set the
locale to "ja_JP". They will need to set it to "ja_JP.SJIS" instead to
stick with SJIS.

> The default character encoding in the Japanese locale has become
> UTF-8 in other POSIX systems. In most of all Linux distributions,
> the default is UTF-8. In OpenSolaris, the default is also UTF-8.

Are you saying that plain "ja_JP" without an explicit charset implies
UTF-8 there? Or are they setting the locale to "ja_JP.UTF-8"?

> I believe there is no need to change the default in Cygwin to EUC-JP.

Just to stress this again: Cygwin 1.7's default is and remains UTF-8.

Andy