Re: Bug: cygport fails when the working directory pathname contains spaces

On 26/01/2010 23:38, Steven Monai wrote:
Imagine if a program like 'cp' failed because the current working
directory has a pathname that contains spaces. You'd probably agree with
me that 'cp' had a rather serious flaw, wouldn't you?

cygport is not 'cp'. cygport is a shell script, as are configure scripts, the autoconf-generated kind being the most common build system out there. Shell scripts usually use spaces for IFS. Hence distinguishing between a space in a file name/path and whitespace between arguments is fraught with difficulties.

I stand by my original report. This is a bug. Not a serious show-stopper
by any stretch, but a bug, nonetheless.

When I find the time and motivation, I may try my hand at fixing it
myself. I'll report back with patches if I do.

As the author of cygport, I'll advise you that your time will be much better spent getting used to not using spaces in file and directory names rather than pretending to "fix" a case that will never be guaranteed to work.

Yaakov