Re: 'git commit' problem

----- Original Message ----- From: "Matthias Andree" <matthias.andree@gmx.de>
To: "Sisyphus" <sisyphus1@optusnet.com.au>; <cygwin@cygwin.com>

When I try to 'git commit' my amendments I often get hit with "* trailing whitespace (line xxx)" errors.

Configure your editor to not leave whitespace at the end of lines (sometimes the features are named flowed mode or soft line breaks or similarly, not always obvious).

Annoyingly, the offending whitespace seems to already be in existence on the files (on github) that I'm trying to amend.
Afaict my editor isn't introducing any additional trailing whitespace, but I can't commit because of the *pre-existing* trailing whitespace.

Anyway, thanks for the pointers Matthias ... appreciated.

(For the moment, I'm just running some perl code on the file(s) to clean up the offending spaces before I commit. It's a bit tedious, but it only needs to be done once on each file, and it does enable me to get the job done.)

Cheers,
Rob