[1.7] Recent build failures (grap and nano) and strange characters in error log

A couple of applications which in the past have built OOB on both 1.5 and 1.7 have recently failed to build on 1.7. (Possibly but not necessarily this is a consequence of the recently changed ncurses architecture; maybe after recent updates to gcc.) The applications are grap v.1.43 (latest current) and nano v.1.3.4 (old but good).
I have recovered functionality by falling back to previously built versions.

Q1 Has anybody else found this, esp when trying to build grap?

Q2 I attach the error log (only 6 lines) when attempting "make" after a successful "./configure" of grap v.1.43. I am particularly surprised at and bothered by the intrusive strange characters. Should I be re-setting LANG or otherwise adjusting my environment?

(Log attached as .png to preserve appearance. Also attached: cygcheck output.)

Thank you.

Fergus