Re: Python 2.6 ?

Yaakov,

On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 02:47:13PM -0600, Yaakov (Cygwin/X) wrote:
> On 26/01/2010 07:56, Jason Tishler wrote:
> >Agreed, especially since the Python web site indicates the following:
> >
> >     The current production versions are Python 2.6.4 and Python
> >     3.1.1.
>
> Which raises another point: 3.x are meant to be installed in parallel
> with 2.x (/usr/bin/python3 instead of /usr/bin/python, etc.).  So a
> separate python3 package might also be in order.

Agreed, but let's focus on the 2.5 to 2.6 (or 2.7) upgrade first.

> >[snip]
> >What do you propose?  Should I release a Python 2.6 as experimental,
> >use alternatives, or another approach?
>
> [snip]
> So if we keep with only one 2.x version at a time, then 2.6.4 as
> experimental is probably the best bet, with a clear schedule to
> maintainers of when 2.6 will go stable so the transition has a chance
> of being smooth.

I prefer the above approach.  However, what happens if 2.7 is released
during the 2.5 to 2.6 transition period?

> If, OTOH, we start supporting 2.5, 2.6, and (soon) 2.7 simultaneously,
> then the packaging scheme for Python would need to significantly
> change.

I would like to avoid supporting multiple 2.x packages simultaneously.

> While you're at it, could you please include my ctypes patches:
>
> http://cygwin-ports.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/cygwin-ports/ports/trunk/lang/python2.6/2.5.2-ctypes-util-find_library.patch
> http://cygwin-ports.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/cygwin-ports/ports/trunk/lang/python3/3.0rc3-ctypes-util-find_library.patch
>
> This is critical for typical ctypes usage, where only a library name
> is given (e.g. PyOpenGL).  It means that the -devel package is
> required, but the same is true of the techniques used on Linux.

OK, but what do you mean by "the -devel package is required"?  After
reading the patch, I think you mean the binutils package.  Please
confirm.

> >BTW, is the threading workaround mentioned in the following post still
> >necessary?
> >
> >     http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2009-07/msg00831.html
>
> Last time I checked, yes for both 2.6 and 3.1.

Bummers, now it is necessary for 3.x too. :,(

Thanks,
Jason