Re: "mbox note: Can't open file://L:\ods\rtoy\Cygnus/ for reading: Unrecognisable file format" errors whilst executing setup.exe

Richard Toy wrote:
Both at work and home I install Cygwin on several machines and I keep
a local cache of the Cygwin install files to reduce the time to
update.

I always run setup.exe and perform a full install of everything.

Since upgrading to the latest version of setup, when performing the
local install from the local cache I get apparently random warning
boxes with the following error text: -

Can't open file://L:\ods\rtoy\Cygnus/ for reading: Unrecognisable file format.

The boxes (51 occurences) can be simply clicked away and the install completes.

Once complete a check of the installation (cygcheck -cv) shows that it
is complete (all OK)

The same error occurs in both the work (Windows XP) and home (Windows
7) environments. In both cases the local cache is accessed through a
mapped network drive.
[snip]
Has anyone else seen this?

Richard
We're seeing the same issue. We have a mirror of the cygwin tree (which is updated through rsync) which is made available on a network share, mapped to a drive letter. When running setup we pick 'Install from Local Directory' and usually select all packages.

And we too get a bunch of those 'Unrecognisable file format' popups. Makes installation a pain as those popup errors all have to be dismissed for the install process to continue.

-heath