Re: "mbox note: Can't open file://L:\ods\rtoy\Cygnus/ for reading: Unrecognisable file format" errors whilst executing setup.exe

On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 03:24:38PM -0600, Heath Kehoe wrote:

>Richard Toy wrote:
>> Both at work and home I install Cygwin on several machines and I keep
>> a local cache of the Cygwin install files to reduce the time to
>> update.
>>
>> I always run setup.exe and perform a full install of everything.
>>
>> Since upgrading to the latest version of setup, when performing the
>> local install from the local cache I get apparently random warning
>> boxes with the following error text: -
>>
>> Can't open file://L:\ods\rtoy\Cygnus/ for reading: Unrecognisable file format.
>>
>> The boxes (51 occurences) can be simply clicked away and the install completes.
>>
>> Once complete a check of the installation (cygcheck -cv) shows that it
>> is complete (all OK)
>>
>> The same error occurs in both the work (Windows XP) and home (Windows
>> 7) environments.  In both cases the local cache is accessed through a
>> mapped network drive.
>>
>[snip]
>> Has anyone else seen this?
>>
>> Richard
>>
>We're seeing the same issue. We have a mirror of the cygwin tree (which
>is updated through rsync) which is made available on a network share,
>mapped to a drive letter. When running setup we pick 'Install from Local
>Directory' and usually select all packages.
>
>And we too get a bunch of those 'Unrecognisable file format' popups.
>Makes installation a pain as those popup errors all have to be dismissed
>for the install process to continue.

If you want to get a problem fixed, the way to do it is to provide details,
not commiseration.

What version of setup.exe are you running?  What specific steps are necessary
to duplicate the problem?

cgf