Re: Please support CP932. (I have problem using subversion with SJIS)

Kazuhiro Fujieda:
> Andy Koppe:
>> Another example is X11, which has its own locale system independent
>> from Cygwin's. There, "ja_JP" implies eucJP already. This means that
>> with LANG=ja_JP, xterm uses eucJP, while filenames and programs
>> currently use the system's ANSI codepage, i.e. CP932 on Japanese
>> systems. Result: mojibake. It does work correctly with
>> LANG=ja_JP.SJIS.
>
> You should set an appropriate alias in locale.aliases.
>
> When the i18n framework in X11 was implemented, The default
> character encoding in the Japanese locale wasn't necessarily
> EUC-JP. I remember there was a conditional macro in the source
> of locale.aliases to adjust it about 20 years ago.
>
> The default encoding in the X11 locale should be adjusted to
> the system locale.

That would break things for anyone depending on "ja_JP" meaning
"eucJP" in X. And CygwinX's locale system has been around for years
rather than weeks.

Furthermore, there'll be plenty of other programs and people that
expect "ja_JP" to mean "eucJP", since that's what they get on Linux
and elsewhere. Cygwin's primary aim is Linux compatibility, and
Windows interoperability is well-served with "ja_JP.SJIS".

Andy